Carbuncles are summons with powerful calls that provide massive Elemental ATK and Resistance (Damage Cut); they include the six actual Carbuncles and six very similar SSR summons.
SR Carbuncles (at 3★) provide 50% Elemental ATK and Cut to the summon's Element.
- eg. Garnet Carbuncle provides and
Their SSR equivalents (at 4★) provide 70% Elemental ATK to the summon's element and 60% Cut to the summon's elemental advantage.
- eg. Prometheus provides and
Both rarities are excellent for bursts of damage or combining with other Damage Cut (such as Phalanx) to become fully immune to damage from a certain element.
- 4★ SSRs are thus ideal when fighting on-element, as both the attack and cut will be beneficial. They also have much higher (more than double) base stats of SRs and provide their full effect to other players via combo calls.
- 3★ SRs can instead be ideal when fighting mirror element or as an alternative to uncapped SSRs. Because the required to uncap SSRs are far more scarce than the required for SR Carbuncles, most new players will want to save Sunslight Stones for more influential summons, making SRs effective long-term placeholders.
- Bringing two of the same Carbuncle is often viable to increase the uptime of their buffs, but more than two (especially SRs) is generally not recommended due to the opportunity cost of missing other summons.